Retha’s Oven-baked Onion Rings
Recipe Makes 8 servings
These are scrumptious onion rings that your family will enjoy as an appetizer or on the side with a sandwich.
2 yellow large onions – onions peeled and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
4 egg whites
4 tablespoons milk
2 pinches cayenne pepper
6 cups panko bread crumbs, or more if needed
1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
Sea salt and lemon pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Separate onion slices into individual rings.
3. Whisk egg whites with milk in a bowl until thoroughly combined; season egg mixture with 2 pinches of cayenne pepper. Place panko crumbs into a separate bowl.
4. Place onion rings into a large resealable plastic freezer bag. Add flour, sea salt, and lemon pepper; seal bag and shake until onion rings are well coated with flour.
5. Drop flour-coated onion rings into egg white-milk mixture, a few at a time, and toss lightly with tongs until well coated. Place rings into panko crumbs and gently shake the bowl to toss the crumbs with the onion rings until rings are well coated with crumbs.
6. Transfer coated onion rings to a large baking sheet that has been evenly coated with cooking spray; spray rings lightly with cooking spray on top.
7. Bake in the preheated oven until onion rings are tender and crumbs are lightly golden brown, approx. 15 minutes (ovens may vary).