Retha’s Spaghetti and Meatballs
Recipe Makes 6 Servings
An Italian gluten-free recipe for spaghetti and meatballs that your family and gluten-free guests will enjoy.
For the Meatballs
½ pound veal and ½ pound pork (grass-fed)
1 pound grass-fed ground beef
1 cup GF bread crumbs
1 teaspoon parsley flakes or 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (use Go Veggie Vegan Parmesan Cheese for dairy-free)
2 teaspoons sea salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg beaten
½ cup warm water
2 (25.5-ounce) jars gluten-free pasta sauce
1 ½ pounds gluten-free spaghetti
1. Mix the ground meats, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg, and ½ cup warm water in a bowl.
2. With your hands, lightly form 2-inch meatballs. Yields 14 – 16 meatballs.
3. Pour coconut oil in a large skillet to ¼ inch depth. Heat the oil. Brown the meatballs on medium-low heat in batches. Carefully turn them to brown on all sides. About 10 minutes for each batch.
4. Remove the meatballs to a plate and discard the oil, but do not clean the pan.
5. For the sauce, heat coconut oil in the same pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent, 5 – 10 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
7. Add the spaghetti sauce to heat– about 3 minutes.
8. Return the meatballs to the sauce, cover, and simmer on low for about 30 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
9. Serve over cooked spaghetti with grated Parmesan cheese.