Retha’s Sweet Potato Casserole is a mixture of eggs, cheese, and sausage baked on a layer of buttery shredded sweet potatoes for a filling breakfast casserole.
Recipe Makes 12 Servings
1 (8 ounce) Turkey sausage
1/2 cup water, or more as needed
4 cups shredded sweet potatoes
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 (8 ounce) packages shredded, reduced-fat mild Cheddar-mozzarella cheese blend
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely sliced fresh spinach leaves
1 (16 ounce) Fat free Greek Yogurt
10 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
2. Place sausage in a large skillet and pour in about 1/4 inch of water; cook sausage over medium heat until water evaporates and sausages are evenly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Crumble cooked sausages into a bowl.
3. Mix sweet potatoes and butter together in a bowl; evenly spread into the bottom of the prepared 9×13-inch dish.
4. Stir Cheddar-mozzarella cheese blend, onion, spinach, yogurt, eggs, and crumbled sausage together in a large bowl; spoon over sweet potato layer.
5. Bake casserole in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and eggs are set, about 1 hour. Cool 5 minutes before serving.