6 Ways to De-Stress and Enjoy Rest
Six days you shall do your work, and on the seventh day you shall rest, that your ox and your donkey may rest, and the son of your female servant and the stranger may be refreshed. (Ex. 23:12)
If there is one standard of living in our day to day life (man, women, children) put off more causally than others, it would be the Sabbath rest. Not just during holidays and special events, but we oftentimes live a life of hustle and bustle. Moms, dads and kids wear different hats of being a friend, coach, nurse, chauffeur, cook, teacher, student, caregiver, and cheerleader. We all have experienced the old adage that there is not enough time in a day to do everything that needs to be done. So what gets kicked to the curb – rest.
Our bodies were not designed to be on the go 24-7. There is nothing that is so urgent that it should be placed above what God says (can anybody say idolatry), including about rest. If day after day, we constantly push ourselves beyond our God set boundaries we will run down physically, spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. But there is so much to get done, so how can we rest?
It takes focus and discipline to cease from being so busy. I encourage you to try the following tips:
1) We can rest by meditation on the Word. Take the time to reflect on something encouraging and comforting to bring peace and added strength. “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.” ~ Matt.11:28
2) Exercise is a great way to de-stress. Going for a walk to take in the sights, sounds, and smell of nature can promote peace of mind and may give clarity to your thoughts.
3) Getting a good night’s sleep of a minimum of 8 hours brings added rest, healing, and strength to your body.
4) Laughter is good medicine and a stress reliever. Take a break for an hour or two to relax with family and friends. Or go online for encouragement, inspiration, and motivation as a way to de-stress, including my Facebook page… hint hint…
5) Simply choose to do absolutely nothing at that moment. Every now and then you need to take a pajama day: read a good book, relax with movies and popcorn, & turn off the cell phone. *wink
6) Schedule a 20-30 minute power nap at lunch time. You will feel rejuvenated for the rest of your day.
Rest blesses us in many ways, such as, bringing physical healing, revelation from God, dreams, creativity, energy, and rejuvenation. God by His design wants us to rest and be refreshed one day a week. Six days you shall do your work, and on the seventh day you shall rest. God said it, not me…
Will you stop and rest? Even if you have to schedule it in your planner as I do. Be encouraged that your mind, body, and soul will thank you and be blessed in so many ways.
If you desire encouragement, inspiration, and motivation then join me on my FB page daily from 6 am to 9 pm EST and feel free to leave a comment. CLICK HERE!
Blessings and Love,